Thursday, July 09, 2009

The DSLR

I guess it's high time to properly feature the DSLR I normally use for my photos while gloating with some of my photos. Contrary to popular belief, it's not new and it's not mine hence the slightly worn out look, (which I think makes the camera look even better) which makes me a photographer without a camera (irony much). Warning; entry may appear ‘nerdy’ or ‘techy’ to some.

Equipment: IXUS 950 IS (yes, it's a compact)

This is the body - the Canon EOS 5D MkI. Worry not for I shall not be a major nerd and bore you all with a complete list of the specs. The MKI is actually an old model as Canon had launched the newer MkII some time ago but then again, I don't do HD video (for now) so this one's perfect. I admit it's overkill to use the 5D at times (eg; for simple, everyday shooting purposes) but heck like I care, am already a victim of the escalation*.


This is the lens I prefer using - the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L. A larger aperture is always a bonus for me as it helps with low-light shooting while producing a better depth of field compared to the standard EF 24-105mm f/4 L with its bigger aperture. Best part is, this one doubles as a macro lens (albeit the not-so-stellar macro performance, but still).

Overall, I absolutely love love love using this combination. Plus, it’s even better when coupled with a flash gun; it’s a proper awesome photography kit with proper awesome photo capturing abilities. But it’s also mighty expensive. I don’t know the exact cost but I’m sure it’s a number with 5 figures. Now do you know why I’m a photographer without a camera?

__________________________________________________________________________



*p/s: escalation – now that I’m so used to the 5D, I feel inferior when using an inferior camera. This is the escalation many photographer are suffering from.




Contact: tiktsin[AT]gmail.com